Dave S.B. Hoon, Professor and Director of Dept. of Translational Molecular Medicine at the Saint John’s Cancer Institute, interacts with external academic, industry, government agencies, and international cancer centers to develop innovative translational cancer research opportunities. He has over 30 patents on his studies and has co-authored over 350 peer-reviewed articles and reviews, primarily related to translational molecular oncology of human solid tumors. He is the original pioneer of JWCI in Santa Monica, 1991.
Dr. Hoon pioneered investigations of CTC and circulating cell-free DNA/miRNA biomarkers for monitoring cancer in patients enrolled in phase II/III clinical trials. Since early 1990’s Dr. Hoon’s team has developed molecular biomarkers for molecular staging of sentinel lymph nodes and classification of human solid tumors including CRC, melanoma and breast cancer. In the last decade he and his team have developed programs for assessment of epigenetic and ubiquitin regulatory pathways of solid tumors such as melanoma, breast cancer, gastrointestinal cancers, and brain tumors. Dr. Hoon has trained over 70 MD/PhD fellows and over a dozen graduate students. The department consists of >20 employees. Awarded multiple NCI RO1s and PO1s, and DOD grants in the past 30 yrs.
Bachelor of Science
University of Victoria
Master of Science
University of Manitoba
University of Saskatchewan
UCLA Surgical Oncology
Program Project Management Certification
California Institute of Technology
- Boerhaave Honorary Professorship and Medal (Surgery Oncology) at Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), Netherlands, 2010.
- American Association Clinical Oncology, American Association Clinical Chemistry, American Association of Cancer Research, , Society of Melanoma Research, U. of Victoria alumni, U. of Manitoba alumni, U. of Saskatchewan alumni, U. of California, Los Angeles Medical alumni
- Board Member: International Society of Sentinel Node 2000-2018
- California Breast Cancer Research Board 2015- present
- Advisory Board, Clearbridge Microfluidics Device, Singapore 2013-present
- Advisory Board, Guardian Health, Redwood, CA, 2012-present
- Advisory Board, Biologic Dynamics, San Diego, CA, 2014-present
- Board Member, Founder, HaimaChek, CTO, 2015-present
- Providence Health & Services’ Research Leadership Council 2015- present
- Providence Health & Services’ Scientific Advisory Council 2016-present
- Providence Health and Services’ Genomics system wide Committee 2015-2016
- NIH permanent committee member on multiple study sections on RO1 and PO1s 2004-2014
- Founding member of NCI Cancer Biomarker Study Section; 8 yrs member
- NIH NCI & SBIR study section committee reviewer 1996-present
- MNRC Review Board Singapore 2014- present
- Visiting Elite Professor Dept. of Neurosurgery, U of Fudan, Shanghai, 2014-present
- Member of Adelson Medical Research Group 2013-present
Dr. David Hoon has published more than 375 peer-reviewed and co-authored articles.
See articles at pubmed.ncbi.nim.nih.gov.