February & March 2020
- The department of Translational Neurosciences presents a new study in Scientific Reports about a novel pharmacologic approach for selective inhibition of β-catenin via targeting a cryptic allosteric modulation site. Read the publication, Allosteric inhibitor of β-catenin selectively targets oncogenic Wnt signaling in colon cancer, to discover how the findings may provide a new perspective for therapeutic targeting of β-catenin.
- The department of Translational Neurosciences presents a new study in BioTechniques: cellular thermal shift analysis for interrogation of CRISPR-assisted proteomic changes. Read the publication, Cellular thermal shift analysis for interrogation of CRISPR-assisted proteomic changes to learn the results.
- The department of Translational Neurosciences studied ANG1005, a novel taxane derivative, which consists of 3 paclitaxel molecules covalently linked to Angiopep-2, designed to cross the blood-brain and blood-cerebrospinal barriers and to penetrate malignant cells via LRP1 transport system. Read the publication, ANG1005, a Brain Penetrating Peptide-Drug Conjugate, Shows Activity in Patients With Breast Cancer With Leptomeningeal Carcinomatosis and Recurrent Brain Metastases to learn the results.
- The department of Translational Molecular Oncology published a new breast cancer study in Nature Communications. The results suggest that 3D epigenome remodeling is a key mechanism underlying endocrine resistance in ER+ breast cancer. Read the publication, Epigenetic reprogramming at estrogen-receptor binding sites alters 3D chromatin landscape in endocrine-resistant breast cancer to learn more.
- The Center for Endocrine Tumors and disorders published a new article highlighting the updates in parathyroid disease and advances in parathyroid surgery. Read the publication, Recent advances in the understanding and management of primary hyperparathyroidism to learn about the management of primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Steven J. O’Day, M.D., and his colleagues at the Society Immunotherapy of Cancer: Fernanda I. Arnaldez, Charles G. Drake, Bernard A. Fox, Binqinq Fu, Walter J. Urba, Vincenzo Montesarchio, Jeffrey S. Weber, Haiming Wei, Jon M. Wigginton, and Paolo A. Ascierto, have published a new study in the Journal for ImmunoTherapy of Cancer, entitled: The Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer Perspective on Regulation of Interleukin 6 Signaling in COVID-19 –related Systemic Inflammatory Response. This publication examines how an immunology-informed approach may help identify alternative agents to modulate the pathological inflammation seen in COVID-19 patients.
- The Drug Discovery and Nanomedicine Laboratory (Yenugonda V and Waters A), along with Kesari S, and Allnutt AB, presents a review article in ACS Chemical Neuroscience highlighting the importance of Cdk5 activity and function in the brain and demonstrates how deregulation of Cdk5 can contribute to the development of neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Read the publication, Physiological and pathological roles of Cdk5: potential directions for therapeutic targeting in neurodegenerative disease, to learn more. This article was also selected for ACS Editors’ Choice!
- Przemyslaw W. Twardowski, M.D., and his colleagues: Johann de Bono, M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D., Joaquin Mateo, M.D., Ph.D., Karim Fizazi, M.D., Ph.D., Fred Saad, M.D., Neal Shore, M.D., Shahneen Sandhu, M.D., Kim N. Chi, M.D., Oliver Sartor, M.D., Neeraj Agarwal, M.D., David Olmos, M.D., Ph.D., Antoine Thiery-Vuillemin, M.D., Ph.D., et al, have published a new study in the New England Journal of Medicine, entitled: Olaparib for Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. This publication demonstrates the benefits of olaparib (PARP inhibitor) in patients with selected mutations of DNA repair system, a major significance for the treatment of prostate cancer. The results of this study are expected to provide a new, valuable treatment option for about 25% of patients with advanced prostate cancer who harbor DNA repair mutations.
- The Department of Translational Molecular Medicine: Wang X, Bustos M, Zhang X, Ramos R, Tan C, Iila Y, Chang S, Salomon M, Tran K, Gentry R, Kravtsova-Ivantsiv Y, Kelly D, Mills G, Ciechanover A, Mao Y, Hoon D., in collaboration with A. Chiechanover (Nobel Laureate) Israel, D Kelly PNI, and Y. Mao Director U.of Fudan Neurosurgery and Clinical Programs Shanghai, published a new study in Cancersentitled: Downregulation of the Ubiquitin-E3 Ligase RNF123 Promotes Upregulation of the NF-κB1 Target SerpinE1 in Aggressive Glioblastoma Tumors. This study examined the role of the ubiquitin E3-ligase RNF123 in modulating downstream NF-κB1 targets in glioblastoma (GB) tumor progression.
- Romela Irene Ramos, MSc, laboratory manager of the Department of Translational Molecular Medicine, along with: Bustos M, Wu J, Jones P, Chang S, Kiyohara E, Tran K, Zhang X, Izraely S, Sagi-Assif O, Witz I, Davies M, Mills G, Kelly D, Irie R, Hoon D., in collaboration with MD Anderson, D. Kelly PNI, and Oregon Health Science U., have published a new study in Molecular Oncology entitled: Upregulation of Cell Surface GD3 Ganglioside Phenotype is Associated with Human Melanoma Brain Metastasis. This study demonstrates cell surface ganglioside GD3 phenotype associates with melanoma brain tumor progression and treatment responses to Icaritin.
- Janie Grumley, M.D., FACS, and her colleagues: Crown A, Laskin R, Weed C, Rocha FG, have published a new study in Annals of Surgical Oncology entitled: Evaluating Need for Additional Imaging and Biopsy After Oncoplastic Breast-Conserving Surgery. This study examines breast imaging after oncoplastic breast conserving surgery.
- Disparities in Amputation Rates for Non-metastatic Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcomas and the Impact on Survival. Dilday JC, Nelson DW, Fischer TD, Goldfarb M. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2020 May. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-020-08586-4.
- Disparities in Risk Reduction Therapy Recommendations for Young Women With Lobular Carcinoma In-Situ. Bandera BC, Voci A, Nelson DW, Stern S, Barrak D, Fischer TD, DiNome ML, Goldfarb M. Clinical Breast Cancer, 27 Jan 2020
- Enhanced B7-H4 expression in gliomas with low PD-L1 expression identifies super-cold tumors. Chen D, Li G, Ji C, Lu Q, Qi Y, Tang C, Xiong J, Hu J, Yasar FBA, Zhang Y, Hoon DSB, Yao Y, Zhou L. J Immunother Cancer. 2020 May;8(1):e000154. doi: 10.1136/jitc-2019-000154. PMID: 32457124 Free article. This is a joint program on neuro immunotherapy with Directors of Neurosurgery Fudan U.
- Congratulations to the Department of Translational Molecular Medicine, Department of Genomic Sequencing Center, Department of Immuno-Oncology and Clinical Research and The Pacific Neuroscience Institute, on your publication in Cancers, entitled: Integrated Assessment of Circulating Cell-Free MicroRNA Signatures in Plasma of Patients with Melanoma Brain Metastasis. Matias A. Bustos, Kevin D. Tran, Negin Rahimzadeh, Rebecca Gross, Selena Y. Lin, Yoshiaki Shoji, Tomohiro Murakami, Christine L. Boley, Linh T. Tran, Hunter Cole, Daniel F. Kelly, Steven O’Day, and Dave S.B. Hoon. Cancers 2020, 12, 1692; doi:10.3390/cancers12061692
- Cellular thermal shift analysis for interrogation of CRISPR-assisted proteomic changes. Her NG, Babic I, Yenugonda VM, Kesari S, Nurmemmedov E.Biotechniques. 2020 Apr;68(4):180-184. doi: 10.2144/btn-2019-0100. Epub 2020 Feb 10.
- Allosteric inhibitor of β-catenin selectively targets oncogenic Wnt signaling in colon cancer. Cheltsov A, Nomura N, Yenugonda VM, Roper J, Mukthavaram R, Jiang P, Her NG, Babic I, Kesari S, Nurmemmedov E.Sci Rep. 2020 May 15;10(1):8096. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-60784-y.
- Thrombospondin-1 counteracts the p97 inhibitor CB-5083 in colon carcinoma cells. Her NG, Kesari S, Nurmemmedov E.Cell Cycle. 2020 May 19:1-12. doi: 10.1080/15384101.2020.1754584.
- Peptidomimetic Polo-Box-Targeted Inhibitors that Engage PLK1 in Tumor Cells and Are Selective against the PLK3 Tumor Suppressor. Baxter M, Chapagai D, Craig S, Hurtado C, Varghese J, Nurmemmedov E, Wyatt MD, McInnes C.ChemMedChem. 2020 Mar 30. doi: 10.1002/cmdc.202000137.
- Evolution of a 4-Benzyloxy-benzylamino Chemotype to Provide Efficacious, Potent, and Isoform Selective PPARα Agonists as Leads for Retinal Disorders. Dou X, Nath D, Shin H, Nurmemmedov E, Bourne PC, Ma JX, Duerfeldt AS.J Med Chem. 2020 Mar 26;63(6):2854-2876. doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b01189. Epub 2020 Mar 10.
July & August 2020
- Inter-Tumor Heterogeneity—Melanomas Respond Differently to GM-CSF-Mediated Activation. Moshe A, Izraely S, Sagi-Assif O, Malka S, Ben-Menachem S, Meshel T, Pasmanik-Chor M, Hoon D, Witz I. Cells July 13 2020; 9, 1683; doi:10.3390/cells9071683.
- Development of a Risk Score and Nomogram to Predict Individual Benefit Attained from the Addition of Adjuvant Chemotherapy in the Treatment of Stage II Colon Cancer. Nelson DW, Merritt C, Chang SC, Grunkemeier G, Steele SR, Goldfarb M. J Gastrointest Surg. 2020 Aug 3. doi: 10.1007/s11605-020-04757-6.
- Inaccurate pretreatment staging can impact survival in early stage esophageal adenocarcinoma. Scholer AJ, Uppal A, Chang SC, Ghosh D, Garland-Kledzik M, Santamaria-Barria J, Khader A, Dehal A, Fischer T, Goldfarb M. J Surg Oncol. 2020 Jul 6.doi: 10.1002/jso.26101.
- COVID-19 and Cancer: A guide with suggested COVID-19 rule-out criteria to support clinical decision-making. Larson C, Oronsky B, Goyal S, Ray C, Hedjran F, Hammond TC, Kesari S, Caroen S, Lybeck M, Dobalian VE, Oronsky A, Reid T. Biochim Biophys Acta Rev Cancer. 2020 Aug 19:188412. doi: 10.1016/j.bbcan.2020.188412. Online ahead of print.PMID: 32827582 Free PMC article. Review.
- Disparities in the Occurrence of Late Effects Following Treatment among Adolescent and Young Adult Melanoma Survivors. Alicia A Gingrich 1, Candice A M Sauder 2, Melanie Goldfarb 3, Qian Li 4, Ted Wun 2 4, Theresa H M Keegan 2 4. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev (2020). Melanoma is the third most common cancer in the adolescent and young adult (AYA) population. No studies look at the late health effects. Of AYA melanoma survivors, males, those with public/no health insurance, and those living in low SES neighborhoods had a greater likelihood of developing adverse health conditions.
September & October 2020
- Oncoplastic Surgery Facilitates Breast Conservation and May Permit More Judicious Chemotherapy Use. Crown, A., Rocha, F.G. & Grumley, J. ASO Author Reflections: Ann Surg Oncol (2020).
- Complications Associated With Ureteroscopic Management of Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma. Jennifer Linehan, Mark Schoenberg, Elyse Seltzer, Kim Thacker, Angela B. Smith. ScienceDirect 2020 Oct 6.
- Feasibility of Treating High Grade Gliomas in Children with Tumor-Treating Fields: A Case Series. Crawford J, Saria MG, Dhall G, Margol A, Kesari S, Cureus. 2020 Oct 5;12(10):e10804. doi: 10.7759/cureus.10804.PMID: 33163308 Free PMC article.
- Targeting breast cancer metabolism with a novel inhibitor of mitochondrial ATP synthesis. Kim MS, Gernapudi R, Cedeño YC, Polster BM, Martinez R, Shapiro P, Kesari S, Nurmemmedov E, Passaniti A.Oncotarget. 2020 Oct 27;11(43):3863-3885. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.27743. eCollection 2020 Oct 27.PMID: 33196708 Free PMC article.
- A Pilot Study Comparing the Efficacy of Lactate Dehydrogenase Levels Versus Circulating Cell-Free microRNAs in Monitoring Responses to Checkpoint Inhibitor Immunotherapy in Metastatic Melanoma Patients. Matias A. Bustos, Rebecca Gross, Negin Rahimzadeh, Hunter Cole, Linh T. Tran, Kevin D. Tran, Ling Takeshima, Stacey L. Stern, Steven O’Day, and Dave S. B. Hoon. Cancers 13 November 2020.