Hearing the word “cancer” is a life changing experience. Dealing with cancer can affect you emotionally, mentally, physically, spiritually, and financially. Our cancer support teams at Providence Saint John’s Health Center are here for you. Learn about the support and resources available to help you and your family cope through this trying time.
New Cancer Diagnosis:
A new diagnosis is the beginning of an emotional and scary time. It’s hard to know what to do, the correct decisions to make, and who to turn to for help. Here are some tips when you are told you have cancer:
- Ask exactly what type of cancer you have, where it is located? Has the cancer spread? What stage is the cancer and what does this mean? What other tests are needed before deciding on treatment? Write down your answers.
- Ask for a copy of the pathology report, start a binder so you can refer to it later if needed.
- Ask about treatment options, what is recommended and why. What is the goal of treatment? What is the survival rate? What are the chances the cancer comes back with or without treatment?
- Be clear, open and honest share your goals and fears, be frank about what you want and don’t want. Find out what are the potential side effects of certain treatments. Don’t be shy, if you don’t understand something, let them know.
- What resources and support are available where you are planning on getting treatment? How much experience does the health care provider have with treating your type of cancer?
- Get a second opinion.
- Ask to record a visit or have a loved one on the phone during your visit. If able take a friend or family member with you, as another set of ears. Sometimes they may remember things you missed, and it will help to have someone there who knows what you are going through.
- Let friends and family help you! They want to help you and try to make things easier for you. This is a time to welcome the support.
Cancer Supportive Services Available at Providence Saint John’s
Navigating the cancer journey is not easy. Dealing with the emotions, treatment and side effects may require additional support. Providence Saint John’s cancer support team is here to help ease your way.
We offer a variety of wellness services to support you and your loved ones throughout your cancer journey. Our services aim to help you with your physical, emotional, social, mental and spiritual needs.
Supportive services include:
- Oncology Social Work
- Survivorship Care
- Palliative Care
- Bone Health
- Spiritual Care
Watch our Cancer Support Webinar: Your Partners in Care
Psychiatry, Social Work and Survivorship
A cancer diagnosis affects many areas of one’s life. From coping with a diagnosis and dealing with side effects of treatments, to managing logistical issues and financial challenges, having a support team in place can help greatly.
By watching our webinar, you will hear from Providence Saint John’s cancer support psychiatrist, oncology clinical social workers, and preventative care survivorship team members about how to best manage the many different aspects of your diagnosis. Our goal is to help you optimize your quality of life during all phases of treatment or recovery.
Broadcasted Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 12:00 PM PST.
To watch our archived webinars visit: https://www.saintjohnscancer.org/about-us/webinars/
Webinar Presenters and Contact Information
We encourage all patients to contact their cancer care team for any questions or concerns. Telemedicine is allowing us, when appropriate, to meet with patients virtually, without needing to meet in person. Please contact us using the link below or call us at 310-829-8621 to discuss if scheduling a virtual doctor appointment is an option for your personal condition.
Take Advantage of our Cancer Support Services
Stay Safe and Receive Cancer Support In-Person or at Home:
We want to remind you that you’re not alone in your fight against cancer. Rest assured, our team is here to answer questions and support our patients and their family members in-person or remotely when appropriate.
Check out our blog about online cancer support services