As the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise across the globe, more people are feeling anxiety and stress with uncertainty in this time of crisis. Now more than ever it’s important to take care of our wellbeing, by not only following the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), but by also taking care of our mental and physical health.
Studies have shown mindfulness meditation can positively impact your health from reducing stress, controlling anxiety, enhancing self awareness, improving sleep, lowering blood pressure and much more. When it comes to a crisis, we can’t always control what’s happening in the world around us, but we can change how we react to it.
Below we’ve listed several meditation and exercise resources to help you and your loved ones during challenging times. Take 5-10 minutes a day to just to be still, focus on your breath, and let go of thoughts as they pass through your mind.
- Headspace – Helps you learn to meditate and live mindfully. Offering free access for health care professionals. Learn more at Headspace.
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center – Link to guided meditations
- UCSD Center for Mindfulness – Link to guided audio and video meditations
- Dartmouth Student Wellness Center – Relaxation downloads
- Insight timer – In addition to a variety of meditations, insight timer allows you to track your practice. Link to free app for sleep, anxiety and stress
Physical Fitness Resources
Regular exercise is a great way to relieve stress and is important for maintaining good health. While many health clubs have announced temporary closures, you can still continue to exercise daily with a variety of at-home workouts. This is a great opportunity to try out new workouts if you’ve been getting tired of your routine.
- 24 Hour Fitness, LA Fitness, OrangeTheory, Anytime Fitness and many other gyms are now offering members access to at-home workouts for free on their respective mobile apps at this time of crisi. There is a wealth of resources online for equipment free routines – feel free to search more in your area.
- Planet Fitness – Offering at-home workouts free via Facebook Live
- Peloton – Offering a free 90-day trial of at home fitness classes, with no bike required
- Yoga with Adrienne – View classes on YouTube
Whether you are a front line caregiver or staying at home practicing social distancing, we are all in this together!
*Resources Compiled By: Carlie Galloway, LCSW, Caroline Sarafin, MSW, and Joseph Greenberg, LCSW
The Saint John’s Cancer Institute Saint John’s Health Center also offers a host of integrative and wellness services that aim to address the physical, emotional, social, mental, and spiritual needs of patients and their loved ones throughout their cancer journey. Click below to learn more about our cancer support services.
Take Advantage of our Cancer Support Services