Any injury to the ureter during surgery can cause surgical scarring.
Other causes by kidney stones, upper urinary tract inflammation, or a tumor. As scar tissue builds up in the ureter so does inflammation around the ureter. This happens for many reasons including a
- External traumatic injury or as a complication of a previous surgery
- Procedure to manage kidney stones
- Surgeries surrounding the ureters, for example, gynecologic or vascular surgical procedures
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer or other types of cancers
- Congenital, meaning they are present at birth