- Cancers of the chest such as:
- Other conditions include, but are not limited to:
- First Rib Removal for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Thymectomy for Myasthenia Gravis removal of the thymus gland for tumor or myastheniagravis)
- Esophagectomy (removal of the esophagus for cancer or other disease)
- Treatment for Esophageal Diverticula
- Lobectomy (removal of a section of the lung called the lobe)
- wedge resection and segmentectomy (removal of a small part of lung tissue that contains cancer
What is Robotic Thoracic Surgery?
Robotic Thoracic Surgery is a robot-assisted minimally invasive surgery, that allows for greater surgical precision, enhanced visualization and increased range of motion. The robot acts as a miniaturized extension of the surgeon’s arms and hands, which allow the surgeon to perform complex surgical procedures through small incisions, instead of using previously required large incisions for traditional surgery.
Other benefits of robotic thoracic surgery using the da Vinci® Surgical robot includes:
- Less tissue trauma
- Less blood loss with fewer blood transfusions
- Reduced risk of infection
- Faster recovery and a shorter hospital stay